Avro Lincoln B.2 RF398 at Cosford
Photographed on 5 February 2004 at the RAF Museum, Cosford.
The Avro Lincoln was the last piston engined bomber of the RAF.
Assigned the registration code RF398, delivered to No 46 Maintenance Unit, RAF Lossiemouth, 13th September 1945.
Transferred between a number of different units within the RAF, and served at the Bomber Command Bombing School, RAF Lindholme, from November 1957. Moved to RAF Gaydon in 1960 as part of the Battle of Britain display.
Transferred to the Signals Command Development Squadron and involved in radar development trials. Last flight to RAF Henlow on 30th April 1963, marking the final flight of a Lincoln aircraft
Transferred to RAF Cosford and placed in storage, later displayed at the museum as here.
RF398 is the sole surviving Avro Lincoln aircraft of 604 airframes that had been constructed.
Picture added on 28 March 2009