Ford Tri-Motor 4-AT-E NC8407 c/n 146
Photographed at the Dayton Air Show, Ohio, on 17 July 2003.
Belonging to the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA), this aircraft is normally based at Pioneer Airport, Oshkosh, Wisconsin, giving passenger rides.
The Ford Motor Company built 199 Tri-Motors between 1926 and 1933. This one first flew on 21 August 1929. It has been used for barnstorming, crop spraying and carrying smoke jumpers.
A severe storm in 1973 lifted the tied-down aircraft and smashed it on to its back, and it took repairs until 1985 before it flew again.
In 1950 this became the most powerful Model 4-AT Tri-Motor ever to fly, with two 450 hp and one 550 hp engine.
Picture added on 11 October 2008