WSK Okecie TS-9 Junak 3 trainer SP-BPL at Krakow
Photographed at the Krakow Aviation Museum (Muzeum Lotnictwa Polskiego Instytucja Kultury Wojewodztwa Malopolskego) on 12 August 2008.
The first Junak was designed by the LWD works as a 2-seat trainer with the M-11D radial engine, to be easy to fly and service. It first flew on 22 February 1948, and after minor modifications went into production as the Junak 2.
A design team at the Polish Aviation Institute carried out further modifications, under the leadership of Tadeusz Soltyk, with the first prototype Junak 3 flying on 7 August 1952.
These went to the Officers Flying School at Deblin in 1954 to replace the withdrawn Junak 2's. WSK Okencie produced 146 Junak 3 aircraft, which served until 1961. From 1956 onwards they were gradually presented to flying clubs, with which they flew until 1972. The last Junak 3 was registered SP-BOG.
The aircraft on display is 13-9578, built in 1955 as part of the final production batch. It was donated to the Museum in 1964 by the last user, the Krakow flying club.
The engine is a 5-cylinder M-11Fr radial, built by WSK under licence from Shvetsov and delivering 160 hp (115 kW).
Span: 9.9 m, Length: 7.8 m, Max. speed: 205 km/h, Ceiling: 4,100 m, Range: 450 km.
Picture added on 21 September 2008