Planes and Choppers
Caudron G3 replica F-AZMB at La Ferte Alais
Photographed on 15 May 2005. This replica has a Walter 120 hp engine. This aircraft was recovered with another one in 1970 on the French Riviera at Auguste Maicon's house, who was a former test pilot for Caudron. The first one, after over 400 flying hours at the Amicale Jean-Baptiste Salis, was sent to South America. The second, completely restored by Marcel Bellecontre is this one.
The Caudron G.3 first flew in 1914 serving as an observation aircraft. It had above average climbing ability and was considered suitable for use in mountainous terrain. As the progressed the type was retired from front line service and used extensively as a training aircraft. The USAS procured 192 of them for use as trainers. The first 126 were purchased with Le Rhone 9C engines in November of 1917. The remaining 66 were delivered with Anzani 10 engines beginning in April 1918.
Picture added on 20 May 2008