Boulton Paul P.111a VT935 at MAM
Photographed on 12 January 2006 at the Midland Air Museum, Baginton, Coventry.
Specification E.27/46 was issued for investigation of delta wings at transonic speeds. Boulton Paul produced the P.111, VT935, powered by a single Nene RN2 which first flew on 6 October 1950. It was very compact and had an exceptionally thin 45° delta wing and triangular fin and rudder, with wing and fin-tips removable for comparative trials; thus the wing-span could be adjusted between 25ft 8ins and 33ft 6ins. The aircraft was flown on company-based trials which identified high sensitivity and unduly high landing speed. Late in 1951 a landing accident led to extensive rebuild.
The P.111 was rebuilt as the P.111a with alterations to the undercarriage doors and air brakes to reduce landing speed. A long pitot head was fitted in the intake and the anti-spin parachute modified to act as a braking aid. In its new guise the P.111a flew on 2 July 1953 and soon transferred to the RAE where it served until 1958.
Picture added on 21 March 2008