Bristol Type 171 Sycamore HC Mk.14 XL829
C/n 13474 photographed in The Helicopter Museum, Weston-super-Mare on 20 April 2013.
Built in Weston-super-Mare in 1957 and the last Sycamore to be delivered to the Royal Air Force. This was also one of the last to be withdrawn from service. It was flown, in a support role, with the SAS, at El Adem, in Aden, from December 1958 and then with the Khormaksar Search and Rescue Flight until March 1964. It was then transferred to the RAF's Metropolitan Communications Squadron on VIP communications duties, with the 4-door cabin modified for this role and extra fixed steps fitted to the fuselage port side, to aid access.
From 1970, No.32 Squadron started replacing its 5 Sycamores with Whirlwinds and in December 1971 XL829 was acquired by the City of Bristol Museum and flown from Northolt to Bristol Lulsgate airport before transfer, by road, to the City Museum. There it remained in storage until 1978 when it was put on display at the newly-opened Bristol Industrial Museum at Prince's Wharf. Due to redevelopment of that museum it was transferred to the Helicopter Museum in October 2007.
Picture added on 10 October 2013 at 07:59