Planes and Choppers
Bristol Type 171 Sycamore Mk.3 G-ALSX
C/n 12892 photographed in The Helicopter Museum, Weston-super-Mare on 20 April 2013.
Built in 1951 at Filton, near Bristol and first flown on 30 April 1951, this aircraft was initially allocated as a company demonstrator. It was a 5-seat general purpose helicopter powered by a single Alvis Leonides 173 9-cylinder radial piston engine. G-ALSX was the seventh production Sycamore and in 1951 it was used for aircraft carrier landing trials on HMS Triumph. It also played a significant part in the relief work during the Dutch flood disaster of 1953. In April 1991 it was allocated to the Apprentice Training School at Westland Industrial Products Ltd. for restoration as a training project and was then returned to the museum for restoration of the cockpit area.
Picture added on 09 October 2013 at 08:09