The hosting costs of websites on this system have historically been covered by advertising. However changes in the way people use the internet, including ad-blocking mean that the revenues no longer cover the expenses. For this reason we will be closing this website within the next two months unless we can find a different model. If any users of the site would be interested in the possibility of taking this incredible archive or pictures and comments over including paying for hosting, please get in touch
Planes and Choppers
Mil Mi-4 9147, NATO designation 'Hound'
C/n 09147 photographed inside The Helicopter Museum, Weston-super-Mare, on 20 April 2013.
This assault transport resulted from an October 1951 ultimatum by Stalin for the design and construction of a transport helicopter within 12 months. It is powered by one Shvetsov ASh-82V 14-cylinder two row radial piston engine. Over 3,000 Mi-4s were built for military service with the Soviet and Warsaw Pact forces and for civil operations with Aeroflot over the subsequent 15 years. This Mi-4 in the Museum was probably built in the 1950s and carries the insignia of the Czechoslovakian Air Force. It was purchased by the Museum in 1992 and delivered by road in major sections during the first half of 1993. Reassembly and restoration began in 1995 and was finished in late 1996, but some missing parts are still required, especially in the cockpit area, to complete the restoration.
Picture added on 08 October 2013 at 07:59