The hosting costs of websites on this system have historically been covered by advertising. However changes in the way people use the internet, including ad-blocking mean that the revenues no longer cover the expenses. For this reason we will be closing this website within the next two months unless we can find a different model. If any users of the site would be interested in the possibility of taking this incredible archive or pictures and comments over including paying for hosting, please get in touch
Planes and Choppers
Mil Mi-1, Polish PZL-Swidnik SM-1 variant
2/2-seat Soviet helicopter photographed inside The Helicopter Museum, Weston-super-Mare, on 20 April 2013.
NATO Designation 'Hare'. Designed by Mikhail Mil in 1945 and powered by a single Ivchenko AI-26V 7-cylinder radial piston engine. This example was completed by PZL-Swidnik, Poland in February 1959 and delivered to the Polish Air Force. It was primarily used for pilot training from 1962 until the late 1980s, after which it was grounded and used for ground instruction. The final log book entry is dated 29th November 1990. Purchased by the Museum in 1992 it was delivered by road in 1993. It is restored in Soviet markings as an example of the first Russian production helicopter.
Picture added on 08 October 2013 at 07:59