Messerschmitt Bf109G-2 MT-208 wreckage
Photographed on 25 June 2012 in the Finnish Aviation Museum at Vantaa, Finland. C/n 14743, built at the Messerschmitt AG factory at Wiener-Neustadt in Austria in 1943. It was coded RJ+SM for the ferry flight to Finland.
Between 1943 and 1954 the Finnish Air Force had a total of 162 Bf 109G-2 and G-6 aircraft.
After a ground loop on 16 April 1943 after only 12 hours 40 minutes had been logged, it was repaired and the wings from MT-218 were fitted. After repair at the end of June 1944 it went to the HLeLv fighter squadron, where it scorde four aerial victories.
It ditched in 1946 in front of Pori after an aerial target had wound itself around the propeller and blocked the supercharger air intake. The engine then overheated. The pilot, Lt. V. Pokela survived unharmed. While being retrieved from the seabed it sank again, but the parts shown here along with the tail section were recovered in 1999. The aircraft had by then flown a total of 119 hours 5 minutes.
Picture added on 31 October 2012 at 04:35