Westland Dragonfly HR.3 WP495/"G-AJOV"
Photographed inside the RAF Museum at Cosford on 23 May 2011.
Built in 1953, c/n WA/H/80 at Yeovil, Somerset for service with the Fleet Air Arm, one of 58 Dragonfly H.R.3 aircraft built, the most numerous of all Dragonfly variants.
1974 with the Combined Cadet Force at the King’s School, Wimbledon, bearing the code 915.
About 1976 at Warnham, West Sussex where the Surrey Aircraft Preservation Society established the Warnham War Museum at Doffold Hill.
About 1978 at Banstead, Surrey with the Surrey and Sussex Aircraft Preservation Society, still coded 915.
Early 1979, front portion to Biggin Hill, Kent in poor condition for the British Airways Collection; rear portion with accessories stored at Banstead.
1980 to the Aerospace Museum, RAF Cosford, Salop, on loan to the RAF Museum from the Surrey and Sussex Aviation Society.
Restored and painted to represent the original BEA Sikorsky S-51 trials aircraft G-AJOV which on 1 June 1950 began the first ever sustained
regular scheduled passenger helicopter service, between Liverpool (Speke) and Cardiff (Pengham Moor).
Picture added on 04 August 2011 at 10:42