Halberstadt CL IV
Photographed in the Early Years Gallery at the USAF Museum, Wright-Patterson AFB, Dayton, Ohio, on 7 September 2006.
Introduced into combat during the last great German offensive of WW1, the CL IV supported German troops by attacking Allied ground positions. Equipped with both fixed and flexible machine guns, hand-dropped grenades and small bombs, the CL IV proved very effective in this role, but it lacked the armour necessary for protection against ground fire.
The CL IV became a hunted target of Allied fighter squadrons, but it gave a very good account of itself in dogfights. A versatile machine, the CL IV also performed as an interceptor against Allied night bombing raids and served as a night bomber against troop concentrations and airfields near the front lines.
The museum acquired the Halberstadt CL IV shown here in 1984. Badly deteriorated at the time, its restoration was a joint international cooperative venture by the Museum fur Verkehr und Technik in Berlin, Germany, the Smithsonian Institution's National Air and Space Museum and the National Museum of the United States Air Force. It is marked as the CL IV of the squadron leader of the Schlachtstaffel 21, which is known to have engaged elements of the U.S. Army's 94th and 95th Aero Squadrons in mid-July 1918 during the Chateau Thierry battle.
Picture added on 05 March 2011 at 08:02