Brantly B-2 helicopter N2143U
Photographed in the Frederick C. Crawford Auto-Aviation Museum on 2 September 2006.
This two-seat single-engined light utility helicopter was purchased in 1962 and flown by Dean Svec for all of its total of 2,108 hrs. It was retired in 2006 and is now on permanent public display.
After the failure of his first design, the Brantly B-1, Newby O. Brantly decided to design a simpler and less complicated helicopter for the private buyer. The B-2 had a single main rotor and an anti-torque tail rotor and first flew on 21 February 1953. This was followed by an improved second prototype that first flew on 14 August 1956. The basic design remained in production for over 30 years.
Powerplant: 1× Avco Lycoming IVO-360-A1A air-cooled flat-four piston engine, 180 hp (134 kw).
Picture added on 09 February 2011 at 09:57