Photographed in the Schleissheim Air & Space Museum, near Munich, on 2 September 2010.
With two counter-rotating rotors, this is a multipurpose helicopter used in the USSR mainly in the agricultural sector. This simple but robust aircraft was developed by the Soviet helicopter designer Nikolai Il’yich Kamov (1902–1973). The Ka-26 was conceived as a rotary-wing counterpart to the Antonov An-2 for various civil uses, mainly in agricultural applications. Upward and forward thrust came from two coaxial three-bladed rotors, which were counter-rotating to counteract torque. Two radial piston engines provided power. The area behind the fixed, two-man cockpit could be quickly refitted to accommodate a six-passenger cabin, a chemical tank with spraying equipment, geological instruments, a medevac cabin, a winch or a freight platform. The Ka-26 seen here was used by the former GDR airline Interflug as an agricultural helicopter until 1991.
Design office: Kamov, USSR, 1970.
Rotor diameter: 13.0 m, Fuselage length: 7.75 m.
Take-off weight: 3250 kg, Maximum speed: 170 km/h.
Range: max. 1,200 km
Power plant: 2 xedenyev M-14 V26 9-cylinder radial engines.
Power rating: 2 x 239 kW.
See picture #10978
Picture added on 27 October 2010 at 08:18