Russian aeronautical engineer Boris Pavlovich Lisunov directed the building under licence of a highly modified version of the Douglas DC-3 at the GAZ-84 works at Moscow-Khimki, and subsequently at GAZ-33 at Tashkent-Vostochn.He had spent two years at the Douglas Aircraft Company, between November 1936 and April 1939, translating the design. One of the engineers who accompanied him to Douglas was Vladimir Mikhailovich Myasishchev. The Soviet version was given the designation PS-84, and later the Li-2 in recognition of the extensive engineering changes necessitated by Russian production methods and utilisation of the aircraft, all overseen by Lisunov. Production ended in 1950.
HA-LIX: Lisunov Li-2. Built in 1949, revived between 1997 and 2001 by