Absorbing the Canadian Vickers Ltd. operations, Canadair was created on 11 November 1944 as a separate entity by the government of Canada as a manufacturer of PBY Canso flying boats for the Royal Canadian Air Force. Postwar, the company engaged in transport aircraft, but became a division of General Dynamics, building Sabre, Silver Star and Argus aircraft. It also produced Tutor jet trainers, F-104G and much of the NF-5 programme with Fokker in the 1960s. Fire bombers, business jets and regional jets followed, until in 1976 the company was bought back by the Canadian government. In 1986 it was sold to Bombardier Inc. of Montreal and in 1988 merged with its parent company to become Bombardier-Canadair, part of Bombardier Aerospace. The name Canadair faded away, and its successor now produces contract work for parts of the F-15, F/A-18 Hornet, 767, P3-C and A330/340.
This is Croatian CL-415 Canadair - Fire plane in action. Picture was taken 26.07.2006 on big forest...
Canadair CL-215 Canada
The Canadair CL-215 was the first model in a series of firefighting aircraft built by Canadair and l...
The Canadair 415 is the latest in Canadair's line of multi-role amphibious aircraft beginning with t...
A view under a Canadair 415. You can see here two of the four doors which open to allow the water to...
Canadair 415 Close-up
A close look at one of the parts of a Canadair 415. This is one of the two probes which are used to ...
Canadair 415 C-GOGX
Cost Approx. $35 million (Canada)
Passengers 8 / 30 with tanks removed
RCAF CF-104 # 12741
This is an RCAF CF-104 being serviced at RCAF Station Greenwood, Nova Scotia in June 1967.