The Engineering and Research Corporation (ERCO) was started by Henry Berliner in 1930 to produce tools for the manufacture of metal aircraft and propellers. Through his work in propellers he met Fred Weick, an aeronautical engineer. Weick left NACA in 1936 to work for ERCO on his "safety airplane". In 1937, Berliner purchased 50 acres of land in Riverdale Park, Maryland near the College Park Airport and built a large ERCO factory and airstrip. One of ERCO's most significant achievements was the development of the Ercoupe aircraft. In 1947, Berliner decided to leave the aviation industry and sold the drawings, tools, parts, materials and distribution rights for the Ercoupe to Sanders Aviation. In all, ERCO and Sanders Aviation sold just over 5,000 Ercoupes.
A visitor to Collegedale Municiple Airport in Collegedale, Tennessee USA. 1946 Ercoupe 415-C. N3439H...
Ercoupe 415D NC93942
Photographed in the College Park Aviation Museum, Maryland, on 30 September 2006, during a BAES visi...
1946 Ercoupe 415-D taxies to its hangar at the Calhoun, Ga. airport.
Erco Ercoupe 415D SE-BNA
Photographed in Svedino's Automobile and Aviation Museum, Ugglarp, Sweden on 14 October 2006.