In the early 1920s Henry Ford and 19 other investors invested in the Stout Metal Airplane Company. In 1925, Ford bought Stout and its aircraft designs. This became the Stout Metal Airplane Division of the Ford Motor Company, the most famous product of which was the Ford Trimotor. William Stout left the Metal Airplane division of the Ford Motor Company in 1930. During WW2, the largest aircraft manufacturing plant in the world was built at the Willow Run, Michigan plant, where Ford produced thousands of B-24 Liberator bombers under license from Consolidated Aircraft.