The original company was founded in 1915 as SIAI (Società Idrovolanti Alta Italia - Seaplane company of Northern Italy). After WW1 it gained the name Savoia, on acquisition of the Società Anonima Costruzioni Aeronautiche Savoia, an Italian aircraft company founded by Umberto Savoia in 1915. The name Marchetti was added when chief designer Alessandro Marchetti joined the company in 1922. It mainly produced flying boats and seaplanes up to 1930, then transport aircraft up to WW2. Production then turned to bombers during the war, although most of S.M.'s manufacturing capabilities were gradually destroyed. It was renamed SIAI-Marchetti in 1943. After declaring bankruptcy in 1951, in 1953, the company re-opened and began to focus increasingly on helicopters in the 1970s. It was eventually purchased by the aerospace firm Agusta in 1983.
Diable Rouge 1
SIAI Marchetti SF260 of the Belgian Air Component Red Devils display team.
Photographed at the Ro...
SIAI Marchetti SM.82PW
Bomber/transport aircraft in Maltese markings photographed at the Italian Air Force Museum at Vigna ...