Lavochkin was founded in 1937 as the Lavochkin Aircraft Design Bureau (OKB-301) designing aircraft. The head designer was at first Vladimir P. Gorbunov, but in 1945, Semyon Alekseyevich Lavochkin was promoted to lead the design bureau. It gained distinction for its family of piston-engined fighter aircraft during WW2, beginning with the LaGG-1. The subsequent LaGG-3 was built by the thousand, and then came the LaG-5 which was a great improvement, with a radial engine. The first jet fighter, the La-160 appeared in 1946 and led to other fighters. Lavochkin died in 1960 and the Bureau then closed.
Photographed at Monino Air Force Museum on 24 August 2009.
C/n 1240004, this is the fourth and last...