Lou Stolp was a flight engineer and tail gunner on B25 bombers during WW2 moved to Riverside, California in 1957, where he began designing and building his dream aircraft. The first prototype of the Starduster Too was completed in 1965, and the second prototype, incorporating modifications that markedly improved the performance of the first prototype was finished shortly thereafter. The Stolp Starduster Corporation was then established to market plans, components, and basic materials to amateur builders. Since then, over 600 Starduster Toos have been built and flown. They have been powered by practically every engine imaginable, including Lycomng, Continental, Franklin, Jacobs, Warne, Ranger, Allison and Kinner, ranging from 125 to 600 hp. Current owners are registered in Australia, Canada, England, France, Italy, Israel, South Africa, and Spain. Lou Stolp sold the company to Jim Osborn in 1973, who ran it until 1981, when it was purchased by Bill Clouse. In 1997 ownership of the Starduster Company was transferred to Les Homan, who moved the site from Flabob to Oroville, CA. In 2003 Aircraft Spruce took over the company, and presently supplies all plans and parts for this beautiful airplane and the rest of the Starduster family, that includes the Starduster One, Acroduster, V-Star, Starlet and the Super Starduster.
Stolp SA-300 Starduster Too, G-JIII, Privately owned.
Displaying at Museum of Flight Airshow on Jul...