By April 1939, the Seversky Aircraft Corporation had lost a vast amount of money, and Alexander de Seversky was forced out of the company he had founded. In 1939, the company was reorganized as the Republic Aviation Corporation. Seversky continued to fight for his company, and the matter was not resolved to his satisfaction until September 1942. Meanwhile, Seversky's AP-4 continued in development, finally going into production as the P-43 Lancer. In June 1942, the Army took delivery of its first Republic P-47Bs designed by Alexander Kartveli. They soon placed an order that required Republic Aviation to quadruple the size of their factory and build three new runways at the Farmingdale, New York factory. Eventually this proved inadequate, and in November 1942, the Army authorized the construction of a new factory adjacent to the Evansville, Indiana airport. Throughout WW2, the P-47 would undergo constant development. Production of all versions ended in November, 1945. By then, 15,660 P-47s had been built, making it the most produced U.S. fighter of the war. Briefly turning to civil aircraft after WW2, Republic produced the RC-3 Seabee amphibian. n 1946, Republic again turned its attention to military contracts, developing the YP-84A Thunderjet which also flew in 1946, but development of this aircraft was so slow, the first F-84B didn't enter USAF service until 1949. The straight-wing F-84D was very important during the Korean War, and then in 1949, a swept-wing version, the F-84F Thunderstreak, was developed, entering service in 1954. A photo-reconnaissance version known as the RF-84F Thunderflash was developed from the F-84F. The final straight-wing version, known as the F-84G, would continue in service with Air National Guard units until 1971. In 1951, Alexander Kartveli had begun to design a replacement for the F-84 Thunderjet. By the time the mock-up was completed in October 1953, the aircraft had grown so large that a more powerful engine was needed; the Pratt & Whitney J75. This was the new F-105A Thunderchief, which would become the primary ground attack aircraft of the Vietnam War, until replaced by the F-4 Phantom II in 1970. The F-105 was Republic Aviation's last independent design. In the early 1960s, the aerospace company Fairchild began purchasing Republic's stock and finally acquired Republic Aviation in July 1965. In September, Republic became the Republic Aviation Division of Fairchild Hiller and ceased to exist as an independent company. Republic's naming system was carried forward by Fairchild Hiller with the A-10 Thunderbolt II, which first flew in May 1972.
P-47D "Hun Hunter"
Part of the Thunderbolt Tour. Photographed at the Chattanooga Air Show in 2005.
P-47D "Wicked Wabbit"
Part of the "Thunderbolt Tour" 2005. Photographed in Chattanooga, Tennessee at the Airshow '05.