Slingsby Aviation was founded in Scarborough by Frederick Nicholas Slingsby, a WW1 RAF pilot. In 1920 he bought a partnership in a woodworking and furniture factory in Queen Street, Scarborough. In 1930 Slingsby was one of the founders of the Scarborough Gliding Club. After repairing some of the club's gliders, Slingsby's business built its first aircraft, a German designed RRG Falke which flew in 1931. By late 1933 Slingsby was advertising training gliders for sale. In 1934 the business moved to Kirkbymoorside, some 30 miles from Scarborough, operating as Slingsby, Russell & Brown Ltd. As demand for gliders built up, a new factory was needed and built in Welburn, nearby. This opened in 1939, when Slingsby Sailplanes Ltd was founded. The best selling Slingsby glider in the pre-World War II period was the Primary. During WW2 Slingsby built parts for other company's aircraft as well as their own military glider, the Slingsby Hengist. Towards the end of the war and afterwards the company produced large numbers of training gliders for the ATC. After the war Slingsby continued to make increasingly refined gliders for civilian use in clubs and competitions, such as the Sky and Skylark. The company, trading as Slingsby Aircraft Ltd since 1967, went into liquidation in 1969. After this Slingsby became part of the Vickers Group, initially as Vickers-Slingsby Sailplanes Ltd, then reverting to the old name of Slingsby Sailplanes Ltd, and original design declined, though they built versions of other aircraft, both powered and unpowered. Slingsby’s last glider, which was also their last original design, was the GRP Slingsby T.65 Vega. This ceased production in 1982. In that year Slingsby Aviation was set up by, and as part, of Slingsby Engineering. Slingsby Aviation passed from British Underwater Engineering (UBE) to ML holdings in 1993, then to Cobham plc in December 1995. Slingsby's last aircraft was the T-67 Firefly, a two seater military training aircraft, originally a Reneé Fournier design but structurally reworked by Slingsby into a wholly composite machine.
Slingsby Cadet TX.1
Inside the Museum at RAF Elvington is this Slingsby Cadet TX.1, RA 854.
It was built in 1937.