The Glenn L. Martin Company was founded by aviation pioneer Glenn Luther Martin in 1912 in Santa Ana, California, and began by building military training aircraft. 1916, Martin accepted a merger offer from the Wright Company, creating the Wright-Martin Aircraft Company in September. This venture failed, and Glenn Martin left it to form a second Glenn L. Martin Company the next year, this time based in Cleveland, Ohio, later moving to Baltimore, Maryland. The first big success came during WW1 with the MB-1 bomber, soon followed by the MB-2 which unfortunately went into production by other companies with lower bids. However this design was the only standard bomber used by the US Air Service until 1930. In 1929 Martin sold the Cleveland plant and built a new one in Middle River, Maryland, northeast of Baltimore.
During the 1930s, Martin built flying boats for the US Navy, and the innovative Martin B-10 bomber for the Army. The Martin Company also produced the famous China Clipper flying boats. During WW2, some of Martin's most successful designs were the B-26 Marauder and A-22 Maryland bombers, the PBM Mariner and JRM Mars flying boats. Postwar products by the Martin Company included, the XB-48 and the XB-51 bomber prototypes, the successful B-57 Canberra tactical bombers, both the P5M Marlin and P6M SeaMaster seaplanes, and the Martin 4-0-4 twin-engine airliner. The Martin Company merged with the American-Marietta Corporation, a chemical products and construction materials manufacturer, in 1961 to form the Martin Marietta Corporation. In 1995, Martin Marietta, then the nation's 3rd-largest defence contractor, merged with the Lockheed Corporation, then the nation's second largest defence contractor, to form the Lockheed Martin Corporation, becoming the largest such company in the world.
WB-57F Canberra 63-13302 (AMARC code BM109). Former USAF "Weather" Canberra. They were/are used to c...
USAF B-57 Canberra
This USAF Martin B-57 Canberra is making a pass over German countryside.
Navy Martin in Calhoun, GA
My Dad always called these "Mighty Martins". Unsure what type it is, 404? Still on display at Mercer...
On a trip to Vancouver Island in August 2004, we called at Sproat Lake and were greeted by both of t...